We'd like to make the basic content of the NTP Pool website available in just about any language; but we need your help!
What you'll need
- Fluent reader of English and fluent in some other language.
- A couple of hours to do the initial translation.
- 20-30 minutes about once or twice every 3 months to update the translation with changes.
- Some knowledge of basic HTML.
- Ideally basic familiarity with git or subversion.
- Crazy desire to work for free for no thanks but the benefit of thousands!
If you use git, it's slightly easier for me, but don't get stuck on that - the zipfile method works too.
Please subscribe to the (very low traffic) timekeepers-i18n mailinglist.
Do the translation
When you have the source code, you will find the strings to translate in two places:
- .po files in the i18n/ directory. They can be edited with any text editor or a dedicated tool, for example po edit. If there's no file for your language you can start one by copying the en.po file.
- Language specific HTML files in the docs/ntppool/ directory. Start by copying the 'en/' directory. Only the files in the "language directory" needs translation. The rest are either only provided in English or translated via the .po files. The most important files are "homepage.html", "join.html" and "use.html".
Submit it back
When you are done, either commit with git and push to github to make a pull request or zip up your work and tell me the name of the .zip file you started from or push with git to github and send me a note about it.
To start the new language will show up on the beta site. When it is up there, please review it and if possible get someone else fluent in your language to look through it. When you tell me it's good to go to the main site I will enable it there as well.