We'd like to make the basic content of the NTP Pool website available in just about any language; but we need your help!
What you'll need
- Competent reader of English and fluent in some other language.
- 3-4 hours to do the initial translation.
- 10-20 minutes about once or twice every 3 months to update the translation with changes.
- Some knowledge of basic HTML.
- Ideally basic familiarity with git or subversion.
- Desire to work for free for the benefit of thousands!
The easiest way to get started is to 'clone' the code with git. To use git, start by creating an account on github and then clone (aka fork) the repository.
Please sign up for the forum subscribe to the (very low traffic) translators and i18n category.
Do the translation
When you have the source code, you will find the strings to translate in two places:
- .po files in the i18n/ directory. They can be edited with any text editor or a dedicated tool, for example po edit. If there's no file for your language you can start one by copying the en.po file.
- Language specific HTML files in the docs/ntppool/ directory. Start by copying the 'en/' directory. Only the files in the "language directory" needs translation. The rest are either only provided in English or translated via the .po files. The most important files are "homepage.html", "join.html" and "use.html".
- There might be an unfinished translation "in beta" (look for the 'beta' languages on the test site).
Submit it back
When you are done, either commit with git and push to github to make a pull request. If you have any questions, post them to the translators forum.
To start the new language will show up on the beta site. When it is up there, please review it and if possible get someone else fluent in your language to look through it. Put feedback on github or in the forum to tell that it's ready to go on the main site.